Broken Metatarsals: Are Modern Boots to Blame?
Pg 19 \ Sports \ The Straits Times \ 3 May 2006====================================
-ouch, that's gotta hurt-
I read this with some amusement, where soccer boots back then are compared to soccer boots now, as hard army boots where you cannot feel the ball, compared to softer shoes with better flexibility. In this case, safety has been compromised for flexibility, and the soft boots which offer little protection against injuries may be the cause of the numerous broken metatarsals we are hearing about this season.
Broken metatarsals have prevented many soccer players from playing as they have to take long breaks away from practice and the game itself. Also, even when the injuries heal, chances are that the players will no longer be in top condition to play, which is a rather sad thing. Though I am not a soccer fan, I do feel that seeing good players unable to play is rather disappointing. Also, the issue of modern soccer boots being the cause of many a metatarsal injury is sad because it means that players have to become inactive, and one can only imagine their frustration. The intruiging question is, just where is the balance between safety and flexibility such that optimum performance can be enjoyed? -- DE

1 Comments:
Well I suppose there are always pros and cons when change is introduced.
Football boots in the past are known to be heavy and tough, hence football players rarely succumb to foot injuries as they are well protected. Today's lightweight boots give them more control and to be honest, I'd prefer the control rather than the protection. It does take the game to another level and you cannot deny the fact that the introduction of the new boots have made footballers play better and hence increased the entertainment value of professional soccer.
Post a Comment
<< Home